Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!



I'm posting about this wherever I can so, I apologize for any repeats. It's just something I'm passionate about. As educated and scienitific as our country is ridiculously far behind on the information/education/awareness and SUPPORT for breastfeeding. Leave to our nation to oversexualize something like feeding your baby. Leave to our nation's consumer mind to buy into man-made substance...and then make people think you'll look poor if you don't use formula (like in the 50's & 60's)! Most doctors/pedis are so ho-hum about it... there's just zero support and it's pathetic. So many mamas try and have to give up to what I totally believe is just plain lack of support. If more mamas had support, more mamas would do it, and more mamas would then have support... it would be a wonderful cycle.

BUT no, instead it's about worrying if you've offended someone. Are you freaking kidding me. It's about people giving suggestions of feeding the baby in the bathroom... now that just makes steam come out of my ears... would you EAT your food in the bathroom? If someone happens to be a working mom, well they aren't really left with many choices. Yah there's pumps... but you'd have to be hooked up to one to really understand that suggestion. They're outrageously expensive and again there's no place for a mom to go pump while she is at work... again there's the old bathroom excuse. My tip my nursing pad to them, because it was hard enough being a stay at home mom and nursing... can't imagine adding in all that extra work and planning that goes into that!

Obviously I could go on for hours. Those that know me know I'm not one to push my ideals on you or preach... but on same side of that I also am not a "fighter". I've never done a nurse-in and I don't debate with people about it or write letters when I hear of a mom being told to "cover up". So I try to do my part and be as supportive as I can possibly be and try to misinform when I hear wrong information being said.... oh and post about it when I get a bug in my rear about it :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad about people that use formula. I just wish the support was there for the people that DO breastfeed or want to but are not getting the support they should. My beef isn't with moms... it's with society! I think Sweden would be a GREAT explain as a pro-mommy & pro-baby take on things like breastfeeding, maternity leave and stuff like that! Go Sweden, lol :)

The boys are great proof of success!! I weaned J at 13 mths (never was sick until a month after he weaned!)... when I had E, I was in the shower when the Lactation Consultant stopped by the room to see if we needed help. G told her how long I fed J... and for the rest of my stay the other LCs were stopping by to tell me they were so proud of me. Funny, because I didn't feel like I was doing any great feat... I was just feeding my baby until the right time for him & I to wean! E is also doing just as great on the mama milk! Kudos to the other nursing moms, kudos to those who gave it a shot, and especially kudos to those that offer their support. Sometimes some of the biggest support another person can give is to just not act like a freaking weirdo when a mom needs to nurse the baby. It would be awesome if every nursing mom heard "Way'd it go"!!

Alrighty, stepping off my random soapbox moment :)

P.S. I once saw a slogan... "I make milk, what's your superpower?" Cracks me up! Along with the non-nursing related... "I'm so crafty I make people"

3 comments:

Ayelet said...

Amen, Sister! And by the way, those are some seriously adorable boys you've got there!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree Tyson....I only breastfed Ty for 2 weeks, but I have made it 13+ months with Jack (we are weaning now. With Jack, I made a conscious decision to stick it out no matter what....so happy I did.
Steph

Kelly said...

Hooray for boobs! (that is my standard comment about breastfeeding lately!) I nursed Nathan til he was 18 months and Katelyn is going strong at almost 3 months. I totally agree w/ all the great points you made in this post.