Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Foot in Mouth!

I can't seem to get my foot out of my mouth lately. Or so it feels like.

I'm having a hard time submersing myself into the culture down here so to speak. Culture isn't the right word, but it's the best one I can come up with right now. I've found every single stay at home mom I know to have a complete round of services... a weekly maid (doing all the cleaning, all the laundry, stripping of beds, you name it), lawncare, gym membership, constant spa trips, kids in daycare, and it goes on. I'm not saying anything againt either of the services, I can certainly see their merit. But really? That just sort of seems like overkill to me. It makes me feel like an alien when they're all talking about the "help". Most of the "help" is related to each other in some way.

I think there's something to be said for doing somethings yourself, letting things get a little hairy (it reminds you why you need to do it and appreciate), and especially having the kids see you do things and have them partake in things. Seems like so many people (even from my generation,not just the current younger one) are all about ME, ME, ME and have no respect for taking care of things, property, etc. How can they learn that if they're seeing mommy and daddy have people do their work for them but have me talk about them having chores. That'd seem a bit hypocritical and would probably not carry as much weight with them.

Dumb me brought this up to some others I know. Oops. I came across totally wrong like I don't like gym memberships, or whatever. Ugh. Go me!

2 comments:

Ayelet said...

ugh, I hate those situations!

Charlene said...

I wouldn't worry about it, it didn't seem as though it came out that way at all. Sometimes people just get bugs up their butts or whatever. It's all good!