Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Maiden Voyage into the Land of Sew





A few weeks ago I had my first sewing "class" with my neighbor friend. She came over and showed me the ropes on my machine and then we went to her house to pick something out (pattern/project wise) for my first "thing". She was throwing lots at me, finally we decided on a tote bag... it looks so complicated and hard and I really wanted to just bail on sewing forever. But she repeatedly said that she totally thought it was something I could handle.

I've spent the time in between getting my fabric and fretting. Whoever thought a fabric store with 50+ yr old women could be so intimidating. I sat down once to practice and I knotted the thread up in about 2 stitches. Eeek! I hope that wasn't a sign of some sort.

Last night we had another class... she even brought with her a cutting mat and roller cutter.. awesome! My little thread fiasco was easy to fix, whew. Then I proceed in sewing the pieces together. She left after about an hour and I think I had enough instructions to last me. I just got done doing some sewing on my own (so scary! lol!) and thought I'd blog about it.

The pics are of the project (a tote bag) and my progress thus far! Of course like everything I do, I had to tweak it (you'd think on my first project I'd just back off for once), I didn't want it so long, so I took out one row of rectangles to make it shorter. The pieces are all black, white, blue and tan... pretty much colors I wear as a base the most. Thought that way I could have a better chance of using the bag. The handles, sides, and bottom will be the black on black floral and the inside will be the blue. I think with the colors and making it smaller will make it a little less country and more chic... it'll be my chic tote ;)

Fun! So far so good, think I might have to knock on her door this week though. I think I messed up a bit on one of the rows... wonder if it'll work itself out or if me and a seam ripper need to become good friends. We'll see! This gal is so great, I need to do something special for her as a thank you... or maybe even a little thank you in between. I swear this project is going to take me A VERY LONG time at the rate I'm going. BUT I WILL LEARN THIS! I WILL!! :)




4 comments:

Megan said...

Tyson, that's going to be really cute! And you're going to be so glad you learned. You're right, just make friends with the seam ripper, oopsies happen. I have a couple of ideas for easy peasy projects after this one if you want to talk sew sometime. :) Have fun!

shelley c. said...

SO awesome!! I don't think I would be able to sew a straight line, much less piece together a whole project, so you are MILES ahead of me!!

Anonymous said...

T, Keep up the good work. It won't be long and you will love sewing and enjoy it too! Love, Aunt J

Kate said...

A seam ripper and a good eye squint can be a seamstress's best friend. Keep up the good work!