Monday, May 10, 2010

To be a Mother...

... it's one of the best things that has and will ever happen to me! It's that simple. No extra words can really describe it.

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.
She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

It's given me pride, humility, esteem, confidence, respect and love. Like I always say, they are my heart beating outside of my body. While yah, I talk about my insecurities, my doubts, hang-ups and flaws... they're so minute compared to what I used to feel years ago.

I remember thinking a long time ago when coming to terms with experiences in my life... that I experienced those because my children were going to be some really special people. I had to experience what I did so that I could become the mother I needed to be for their sakes.

By no means am I perfect and each day I try to be a better mother... and every time I achieve that, I also become a better person.

Yesterday, I got a couple hours to myself to go shopping. I bought a new swimsuit and then perused some furniture/decor stores. While in Kirklands I saw a picture frame that said along the lines of we provide our children with a roof so they can grow wings. I thought I'd be able to find it online, I cannot, here's another similar one. Both are very true.

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children.
One is roots. The other is wings. ~Hodding Carter, Jr.
Mother's Day here was just like any normal ole day, with just perhaps myself being a bit more introspective. Because really it's not them that should be celebrating me, it is me that should be celebrating them for allowing me this precious opportunity to be a part of something so grand.
They are my beautiful flowers that will bloom forever, candies that will always taste sweet, and my gifts to treasure and hold dear.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Well said Tyson.

Ellie said...

very true. You're a great Mommy and I truly adore your boys and can't wait for Jackson to play with them!

Sara said...

I love what you said and it is very true. I feel the same way. Wow...how our lives have changed so much in the past few years...so much better than I could have even imagined! Love ya!