Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Road Trip Day 3

...and how many more to go? I better stop counting... I've already started to stress about the way home. After 3 days of seeing how much help it is to have another adult while traveling. My plan is before we leave to condense everything we need for the 3 days into one suitcase... instead of each person having a bag, etc... so that should help. But woooo boy... it's gonna be interesting!!

Yesterday we checked out the French Quarter. We got there at 8:15am so traffic (vehicle and pedestrian) was light. Walked down the streets for a bit, then along the Mississippi, Moonwalk, Jackson Square and headed towards Bourbon Street to say we've walked it. The buildings are so neat and full of character and it's neat to see all the shops, bars, and stuff... however, the smell was horrendous for my sensitive nose. I realize it was Monday... most of the places were hosing out the weekend slime. But it reminded me of how bad the bottom of the legs of your party pants used to smell in college after a night of frat parties and bar hopping! Phew!!

By 10am we were each soaked through each article of clothing! So we stopped at Cafe Du Monde for some beignets to-go! Our "meter" was out via the boys, they were both red and sweaty from the heat... not to mention mom and dad ;) We drove around for a little bit, then headed back to the hotel. Back at the hotel we went swimming... had a good time. After swimming it was time for lunch (leftovers from the night before) and for dessert... our beignets! Holey Moley, it was melt-in-your-mouth-gimme-another wonderful! Everyone liked them!!

Then it was naptime, for everyone... niiice! Then back in the car... we drove to Chalmette. Right after Katrina, Greg was offered a job at the refinery in Chalmette, but I have to say, luckily we turned it down. Five years later you can still see a lot of devastation. On the way back to the hotel we swung through the New Orleans City Park. Found a playground for the boys to play at for a little bit. Ate dinner at City Diner near our hotel. It was early for dinner, so pretty much empty. Which was good... Evan was not in the mood (kind of the theme of this trip for him unless swimming or eating)... I gave him his sippy to hold before we had drinks and he threw the biggest fit in the world... I think the gal waiting on us thought I was somehow harming him! See... we're just soo much fun, especially to travel with! ;)

This will most likely be my last post until we head home the end of June. Eeekkk... how will I survive?? Unless I figure out how to blog from my phone!??! Yah right, I'm lucky to text, I fat finger everything on the blackberry!!

Gatlinburg or bust! Then TH or bust! Then home or bust! :)

1 comment:

Kate said...

There will be absolutely no "busting" going on at all lady! I demand that you make it back to TX in one piece and ready to hang!