Friday, June 4, 2010

Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

Skies are blue, and I don't have insomnia! That's how the song goes right??

As for the insomnia... well, I haven't slept (of my own accord, not kid related) good at all since Feb. It's really starting to take it's toll. I'm super frustrated by it, nothing is worse than being so dead dog tired and NOT being able to sleep! It's starting to be more painful than nights with a newborn!! Ugh!

Anyway, back to sunshine and rainbows :) Craft time with our neighbors again. We hosted, and I picked the books "The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors" that ends with a rainbow on the very last page. Which leads to the next book " What Makes a Rainbow?" a very cute book that each time you turn the page adds another color of ribbon to make a rainbow.

Beforehand I searched for a couple of prisms I have... but since our move, there's a lot of stuff I just can't find. I can totally picture where they were at the townhouse, but no clue here! Then found online you could just use a jar of water to refract a ray of sunshine (which we get lots of sun in our house!). However, yesterday we only had clouds and rain so it didn't end up mattering. We made our own rainbows! For our snacks Jake and I made rainbow (but they're more psychedelic I think) cupcakes earlier in the day. I got the idea from my friend making a rainbow cake for her daughters 4th birthday. Warning: she's a really good cook & baker so no comparing!! Jake enjoyed it but it was loads time consuming and poor Evan ended up sitting on my feet holding onto my leg sucking his thumb and crying because he was so mad at us for taking so much time/attention. They turned out neat... not gourmet or beautiful but neat enough to spark their interest and hopefully make it memorable :) I took a couple extras to mom's night out last night... silly rainbow cupcakes look REALLY out of place with no kids around! Hey, you live and learn! ha ha!

I've tried to get better about documenting some things, so here's our craft & snack from yesterday!





And if the post title has made you nostalgic for the song... here's a remake of the song that I just love! It's very soothing, I need to remember to listen to it more often when it feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

4 comments:

Ayelet said...

great idea, Tys! I <3 rainbow cupcakes :)

shelley c. said...

They look AWESOME!!!

Ellie Davis said...

very cute. Jake looks like he had a lot of fun! Love his rainbow. You are making some really nice memories!

ourbabymakesfour said...

In about a year I really need to get into all these "crafts". Sounds like FUn!