Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Waste not, want not... actually I just make things up!

Yesterday it was 4pm and I still had no clue what was for dinner. I soooo wish I could be like my friend A, and meal plan like she does .  Try as I may, it just hasn't happened yet :(

So I starting thinking... we had Taco Night last friday (it's actually burritos, but taco night just sounds better) and had leftovers from that. I remembered once upon a time reading a recipe for mexican pie. So I google Mexican Pie and came up with a ton of different recipes! I actually ended up combining a few recipes to come up with our own version!

Layering in a 9x9 casserole dish...

- leftover ground turkey (already seasoned, I only use about 1/3 the seasoning packet) - it might of been 1/3-1/2 lb
- leftover black beans - probably about half a can
- I usually have some frozen southwestern corn, but instead I had frozen that you leave in the bag and steam in microwave, worked out just fine that way too.
- layer of cheese... had about 1/4 of a bag of mexican cheese mix left and 1/4 of a bag of mild cheddar
- sprinkled a little more of my leftover taco seasoning over the that
- 3/4 cup of Bisquick, 1 1/4 cup of milk, and 3 eggs mixed together, pour over rest of ingrediants

Cook @ 400* for 30 mins, serve with a dollop of sour cream!

It was good! Both boys ate it (which is a miracle in itself!), Greg liked it (which he isn't sure of new things he hasn't eaten before), and there was just enough leftover for me to have for lunch today!

Here's a pic... is it bad that I thought of taking a pic for pure bloggy reasons?? I dunno though... it might not look as appetizing as it was! :)

7 comments:

Ayelet said...

hey, even with the meal planning, sometimes you just need to get creative with leftovers! good for you!

Aimee said...

Awesome use of leftovers and congrats on getting the kids to eat it!

Megan @ Meanwhile... said...

That looks great, Tys! I made something like that a while back, thanks for the reminder!

Kate said...

Yeah, but how many points is it? :)

shelley c. said...

That. Sounds. SO. Good.

Sarah said...

I'm impressed with your creativity!

ourbabymakesfour said...

Sounds delish!