Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's the story Morning Glory?

Yes, I was a big Oasis fan in the 90's ;)

Anyhoo... I wish I could tell you a tale of a little pack of seed how they grew to be this huge plant! But I didn't think of that last March so I only have current pics.

Back in March when we finished our patio and did my window box, I also wanted a vine. Since we still have zero clue what we want to do with our backyard, I didn't want anything permanent. Solution, a little packet of Morning Glory seeds. I planted them by one of our patio roof columns. I totally babied this plant getting it to grow up the gutter and eventually around the column. Once Greg wasn't paying attention and hacked one side of it completely OFF (when it was really young). Since then I he gives it wide berth with the weedeater and I come in and trim the grass around it with scissors! There was also the time I was gone in June when he didn't baby my plants like I do, it was so twisted around itself I had to cut half of it down for it to restart. Oh the trials and tribulations! ha! Here's the plant today!




I have a lot of maternal pride for this plant, and that lil bruiser (and his big bro)!






This has become hummingbird central lately with the flowers. I've actually had to refill my hummingbird feeder almost less than weekly! Which is very rare!!


Love how it reaches out to find stuff to "connect" to!

While the boys and I are gone for a month, I'm going to give Greg the green light to cut it all down in prep for "winter". I don't want to be here when it's done. But it definitely needs to be cut down, and all the stuff cleaned up (lots of dead stuff in the inside layer) and in the spring we'll see it again :)

I can't wait to have more plants, landscaping, etc... in the backyard... but for now, this was my experiment to "garden" without getting too complicated. Fun! Can't wait for next spring!

5 comments:

shelley c. said...

That grew so well and looks so beautiful!! Excellently don!

ourbabymakesfour said...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine said...

Wow. My previous yard had the morning glory covering the ground. I liked it that way, I just pulled it off the plants it was climbing. I had never thought to have it climb on purpose! Will you do it again next year?

Tys said...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year! Hmmmm.... ;)

Anonymous said...

you baby yours, I round up mine! seriously it killed one of the original shrubs here at the house and when we moved in, I had to weekly pull it out until I finally bought Round up! pretty but deadly in a flowerbed...what were they thinking??

Sheri