Sunday, October 3, 2010

The White Cabbage!

If you'll recall, I had a little pile of things I wanted to reinvent!

One of them was a cabbage tureen. I've always had an affinity for it, but not enough to display it. Recently I thought... white, it needs to be white!




I'm new into the whole spray painting anything I can get my hands on thing... but I knew I probably should start with primer. That I did. But made the mistake of using a cheapie flat white. Hmmm... wasn't looking good. Moved on to a satin white, oooh better. Sprayed the clear gloss and let it dry. Then I realized, it was just too white, too stark. It needed to be a warmer white, off-white so to speak.

Off to JoAnns, picked up some Light Ivory arcylic paint. I knew I didn't want to paint the whole thing, just wanted a thin layer of it, with the white showing through. Found out real fast a brush wasn't going to work... so I went to a highly respected and refined painting tool.... my finger. LOL!

Finally, it was done. It was looking AWESOME. I pick it up oh so carefully only to DROP IT. Caught it in enough time that it just hit the top parts of the "leafs" that stick up. But, damage done, green was showing through and the paint all around it was probably too thick and very rough. UGH. I sanded and painted again. It looks good enough, but I just can't get it back to how it was. There's now too much paint on it, losing it's details, the top now doesn't sit flush due to all the paint, and it's just time to STOP. You know, like Kenny Rogers infamous song! (yes, that is SO random I know!)




Imperfections aside (I'm a little upset at myself for losing some of the detail), I think it's pretty darn spiffy! Now to just find the perfect place for it in my kitchen! After some googling I think I need this white cabbage leaf pitcher as well ;)

If I ever decide to branch off from the family blog to my own craft/decor blog (would anyone read??)... it will totally be called "The White Cabbage". I can see it now. It's all about the art of imperfection :) Cheers!

I'll be linking this little before & after to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphis Monday and Thifty Decor Chick's Before & After... check them out, lots of neat things going on!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Oh the cabbage is too cute! Love the idea of "The White Cabbage" as well :)

Nanniepannie said...

Nanniepannie stopped by to visit. Isn't that always the way...in your mind it looks one way but the finished product is always a little different. I always say my crafting and decorating just has to evolve into what it wants to be.

April said...

Now I want to paint something! LoL. I love the cabbage!

SavannahGranny said...

I think your cabbage looks great! I know what you mean though. I am glad you decided to use it anyway. So often I just tuck things away and try to forget. Give us a picture of how it looks in it's new space. Love your blog.
I just posted my first post on this MEME. Cme take a look and offer suggestion for improvement. Ginger

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

It looks great!!! I haven't gotten the courage to paint china yet!!!

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

It looks great!!! I haven't gotten the courage to paint china yet!!!

shelley c. said...

I think it looks awesome!! And now I want to spray paint something... I have never spray painted anything before, so this could lead to some trouble... :)

Kim said...

It looks beautiful even if it did have a little spill.

Aimee said...

Looks great! I actually have that same cabbage (minus the saucer thing) and love it too. I just don't know where to put it - thanks for the inspiration!