Monday, November 29, 2010

Our Christmas Mantel!

Been going hard at decorating for Christmas since FRIDAY... hey, it's hard with a 2 & 4 yr old (and yes, I would like some cheese with that 'whine'!). Plus last year it was the first year in our house and since we road tripped for 12 days during the holidays, I didn't give it as much thought. This year, it'll just be us here. I want to be able to revel in it, and hopefully make it a little magical for the boys.

As always lately, the goal was just to use what we had. Which is fun, but sometimes frustrating! Our "theme" is just your traditional ole family christmas ;) We saved our money to splurge on garland for the entire staircase and upper balcony/hall. Hope to be showing that soon! I'm almost done, I need some ribbon to finish up a few things.

Again, remember our fireplace is very odd... there's a window above it. Thinking we need to trim it all out so it looks like part of it, like an overmantle. (Item #2167 goes on the to-do list!) You can also see it here in it's fall get-up :)



As with all my holiday decor, gotta have a kids bucket filled with holiday books and toys! Need to find some fun tiny things for the advent box, thinking some days will just be something fun/thoughtful to do written on a piece of paper. Now, apparently the boys didn't get the memo that that berry tree is NOT a horn! Maybe it didn't have a cover sheet! ;)

Some other shots...

I love these snowflake stocking holders, got them 50% off at Hobster Lobster a couple years ago. Nothing like family planning based on your stocking holders purchase! We knew we'd be having #2... but Greg just HAD to throw a fifth one in the cart... so I guess someday they'll be a #3??
Man, we're some "interesting" people I tell ya!

Just stuck in a little bit of this & that throughout the garland! The pinecones are from our walks around the neighborhood, just like in our Trash to Treasure Front Door Wreath!


Oooo! A sneak peek of the tree!


A pinecone in a coffee cup? I really have no clue, but it fit and I liked how it looked!

Hmmm, just noticed that you can't see the sconces on the wall flanking the fireplace very well in any pic. The ones I took where you can, the pic was too blurry. Anyway, those are flameless candles in there. CVS had a 3pk on sale for $9.99 and I had $5.50 in extra bucks... so I got them for under $5. I wasn't sure what I'd think of them. I like them though, the timer function is great. You just flip them to timer when you want them to come on, they're on for 6 hrs and then come back on the same time the next day!

See you soon for some more Christmas Decor, and maybe someday I'll finally sew those curtains I've been talking about! It would be a Christmas Miracle! hee hee!

P.S. Will of course be linking up to The Lettered Cottage's Holiday Home Christmas Mantel party, go check it out! Take a gander at some creative stuff!

8 comments:

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Too cute!!! I love it!! There is something adorable in every corner!!

Ellie Davis said...

definitely makes my mantel look so sad and bare...oh for next year...next year

Denise said...

Looks good! Love the "kid's decor" bucket to keep them out of your good stuff.
Good tip on the flameless candles, might need to check them out

April said...

I love the mantel decor!

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

Very nice! Love that star wreath especially. Merry Christmas! I'm enjoying looking at everyone's mantels. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi T ~ love the new background on your blog! Pictures are wonderful. Keep up the good work ~ your effort is noticed. Love, Aunt J

The Mulberry Girl said...

Hey....I have the same stocking holders!! And I did the exact same thing - right after #1 son was born I went out and bought 6 stockings thinking there would be 3 more coming along. When we decided 3 kids was a good number I still wonder "But what about the extra stocking!?" I'll have to save it for visitors I guess.
Great idea to have a kids bucket, my 2 and 5 year old need something like that - thanks for the idea!

Jen said...

Very pretty!