Saturday, November 27, 2010

Trash to Treasure, our front door Christmas wreath!

Upon getting out all of our Christmas decor I found our tired beat up wreath. We used it when we lived up north, the winters were brutal on it (and me! hence why I love living in Texas now!) and it shows. Greg took one look at it and said... "Do you want me to throw this away?". "WHAT!?" I exclaimed, "No! I'm going to bring it back to life!". He set it down and gave me that 'sure honey, whatever you say' look and went on his way (nice guy, but so not subtle, hee-hee).

We went to the ole Hobster Lobster today and I know there are some goregous wreaths out there, but I will be revamping this one for many reasons!

So I started out with this (wow, you can barely see it due to my countertop, sorry!)...


Via hot glue (the glue gun is seriously old, back from when I was craftin with my wonderful Aunt J as a kid! Just a tiny Black & Decker, still working great!), added some pinecones (that I spray painted a clear gloss on first) from one of our family walks (the boys had so much fun doing this!)...


Drank a glass of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio while creating....


Added in some other odds and ends collected over Christmases past (the little balls are silver, not white, again sorry - not sure if I'll ever be a good photographer). Probably good I stopped, I was eventually going to start gluing anything I could find on it...


Then put it on the front door (we haven't even started decorating outside yet, but our unplugged lighted topiaries are out waiting for other christmas friends!). Twelve lords a leapin! It looks so much better...



The reason I needed a glass of wine while doing this? I tried to get a Christmas card pic of the boys earlier... let's just cut to the chase and say it didn't work out (they kill me ;)). I was aiming for something like "sweet wishes or 'visions of sugarplums', 'sampling the sweets of the holidays', or something (something being the key word here)....





Not bad, not bad at all (forgetting the christmas card photo shoot ever happened)! Yay for a little revamp and a glass of wine!

P.S. Going to be linking this little holiday before & after up to share! Click below and check out some of the other neat things going on!


10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Ty, the wreath is beautiful. And those boys are too!

Ellie Davis said...

great job on the wreath!! and the boys are so ADORABLE! Maybe you can help me on my wreath next year! I want to make a garland and matching wreath but NEXT YEAR :)

Amanda said...

I need some help with a wreath. I have been eyeing my neighbors for about a week!

Andrea said...

LOVE the Wreath!! Great job Ty!! :) and I love the pics...my parents tried to do that for me tonight with the boys in their Christmas wear and it did not turn out so well..Aaron was NOT game for having pics done. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hey T ~ Glad to hear tht the ole glue gun still works; so does mine! I like that it is a petite model because when you have all your creative stuff laid out it takes up less room. Thanks for sharing your pictures of the wearth and J & E. I'm feel a really bad Tyson attack coming on as the time gets closer for us all to see each other in February! Love you, Aunt J

Denise said...

Really like the way the wreath turned out.
2nd pic is my favorite one of the boys

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Your wreath turned out great! The boys take the cake though. So cute! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my dining. Yes, I had the curio on an angle to begin with. I moved it back b/c it was kind of crowded once you pulled out the chair. Maybe I should move it back on the angle since it looks better to the eye.

Heather said...

What a beautiful wreath! Your boys made me smile. I remember when my kids were about the same ages and I got the idea to put the 3 of them in the bathtub with Santa bubble beards! It was a cute idea, but what a disaster in the making! :)

DANA said...

What a great post! I would love for you to link this up to my linky party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

Jerralea said...

What do you mean? Those first two pictures of your boys would make a great Christmas card photo!

Your wreath is cool, too.