Monday, December 6, 2010

Handprint Ornaments!

Today we were suppose to go to playgroup for a great christmas tree craft. Unfortunately Jake coughed all night and Evan's nose is runny... so we had to stay home. So we needed something to do today!

Perfect time to do a craft I've been seeing for years! If you're a grandparental unit of my children, I suggest you stop reading! LOL! I've told family about my blog many times, but I think only 2 actual family members read it. So I guess our craft secret is relatively safe - as for my dad, I guess you can just look at it as a little preview ;)

I got a bunch of plastic ornaments when considering how I was going to deck the halls. Due to lack of paitence, dropping some (not that they shatter but the little neck/top snaps off), etc... I gave up on using them. I had a lot left over. They're great for this craft (and shipping/handling later on!)...

Used white Tempera poster paint and a foam brush....


Put towels on the table and away we went...


Brushed each of their hands each time and told them to "okay grab it!" (a quick concise motion allowed for less smudges and a good handprint - for the most part). First I did all the greens with Ev's handprint while Jake's were red, then switched (easiest way to keep it organize and not end up with 2 of the same on one!)Then just hung on our kitchen chandy to dry since it was right there and I needed to be right there and get this done!

Let the boys just fingerpaint awhile...


Wrote their initals and the year with sharpie. Now they're ready to hang and/or ship as gifts!

Since this will be our first year not being with family, I hope they cherish these little handprints as much as we do... as next year they probably both won't fit on the same ornament!

This is a super easy thing to do, almost borderline not a craft... but still linking up with Kate's Christmas Craft Party anyway :)

2 comments:

shelley c. said...

Those look great!! And it looks like the boys had a blast doing them, too! :)

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea T!