Sunday, January 23, 2011

Calamity & Suki

Introducing Calamity the orange & white low rider kitty and Suki Lou the mild mannered Shiba Inu!

Not often mentioned (because they both sleep most of the time anymore!) are our two pets!

This is Calamity. I got her my senior year of college (she turned 10 this Sept which makes me feel really old). I was talking to a friend late in the design studio one night saying I wanted a cat. I wanted an orange & white, female kitty. My friend went home that weekend and found that her cat had kittens and that MY cat had been born... I went and got her some weeks later! I named her Clementine for one day, then realized that Calamity was actually her name.

However, it was the BIGGEST mistake, she was nuts and I was barely home... I think she might of jokingly been feral! But then when I moved to Atlanta after college she was my best friend. The only "person" in that city that knew me and waited for me to get home each night! Then when I moved to Chicago with Greg, Calamity flew (in a cute animal carry on bag) up there with me and stayed with him for a few months before I could move. They became fast friends, and to this day she'd rather cuddle with him than me!

She's been so-so on the kids, but really puts up with a lot! Keeps to herself until she wants a lap to lay on or to be feed! I call her the low rider kitty because she's not that big and she has very squatty legs. So it makes her look bigger than she really is, yet her ego is certainly bigger than she is though!





We got Suki Lou after stuffing ourselves on sushi about one month after getting married and stopping by a pet store to "look"... came home with her... how could we NOT?? Look at how cute she was! (she's a Japanese shiba inu, read about them here). Suki in Japanese means beloved by the way :)



The puppy years sucked... she chewed HOLES in our drywall. Thank goodness for KONGs. Other than that, I gotta say she's a superb dog for the most part! She only barks when she plays with the cat, walks great on a leash, is patient with the kids. One of my favorite things is that while she rarely sleeps in bed with us when she does she's so polite and will totally move/lay the right way not to bother you. She sleeps on a pillow in our room but always so that her head is laying on the floor... we call it her "broken neck" lay. We have yet to figure out how it's comfortable. Her most favorite thing in the whole world is SNOW... and we get sad for her being in Houston, I'm sure she misses it. I can't be sure, but I'm hoping we have video of her playing in the snow... it's one of the funniest things!

She was so gentle & protective when we came home with Jake. They were the BEST of friends until he got older and after Evan was born she just kind of gave up on those loud stinky beasts! Although now, Jake is now even older and can actually play fetch and toss the sock with her and so it's cute to see them together again. She does most of our road tripping with us and does awesome! She's such a trooper! There was one time we lost her and we were so scared (you can see more pics of her here too)!



(one of my faves, Jake is like 6 mths old!)


While I complain about the hair, the cat puke, the hair, the litter box, the hair, expensive vet visits, and well, the hair... they have captured our hearts and are a part of our little family! I have always thought that with a little more time, a little more drawing talent, and I think they'd make a very cute childrens book series together ;)

Linking up with Debbie for her Pet's Linky Party!

12 comments:

Jess said...

Suki looks like my Brinkley! Too cute!

I'm visiting from the pet party!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Amazing, and that picture of Suki and the Jake priceless. That just stopping and looking thing...yeah that is how it happened for us too. I would not change that day for the world..and we have lots of black pug hair everywhere.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

P.S...I can't forget pretty little calamity..that picture by the plant looks like trouble LOL!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Ahh, yes, the hair! I know what you mean, but how can we resist those eyes? Love your pictures of Suki next to the crib and with the baby! And Calamity is a perfect name for a cat. Our Nellie's name came to us suddenly after weeks of trying to figure it out. Enjoy all your four babes--two legged and four legged. Linda

mississippi artist said...

I know what you mean aboout the hair- I could suck up enough to make a full length coat. Your babies are adorable.

the cape on the corner said...

whoa, suki is beautiful...i can't do pet stores. now way can you just look! that's funny how clementine (which is a great name) became calamity b/c of her behavior. too cute. i linked up my sweet cat Sunday to Debbie's party, too. glad i stopped over!

Liz said...

Cute! I think Suki is adorable. I have yet to meet the cat though. Although she is cute too. And yes, the hair, oh the hair! I'm with you on that!

Pam said...

Suki is adorable. Love the photo of her with the baby laying on her. I find it amazing that all the Shiba's that I know look the same. Our Shiba is called Sheba (blame that name on my husband) and she was a chewer when she was a baby too. Chewed the baseboards in the kitchen and the newel post at the bottom of our staircase. i did today's post on our guinea pig, but I did put some Shiba photos in there.

lvroftiques said...

Oh yes the HAIR!!! It'll take over the world!...I'm pretty sure.... Loved meeting Calamity and Suki! What a gorgeous sweet dog Suki is! Vanna

Tys said...

Aw, thanks so much for all the wonderful comments on our hairy family members ;) It was a nice change of pace to stop and think about them as nowadays it feels like they fade into the background when really they're a huge part of our lives!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

What a pretty dog. My husband laughed about the holes in the drywall. I am glad I met your babies.

Traci said...

Your pet are precious. My daughter has a one year old Shiba and she is struggling thru the puppy years. It is good to know the chewing will ease up.
Traci