Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Our Winter Mantel

Decorating the mantel in our home as always been the equivalent to hitting a brick wall in the creative dept. It's direct vent gas fireplace, so no technical chimney... there's a window instead. Doesn't sound that bad until you try to decorate it.

How it used to look 9 mths out of the year (except we've added sconces since this pic)... *yawn*

Then I decorated it for fall...

Then Christmas...


And thought what the heck, lets see what I can do for a "Winter Mantel"...



Tried to get some pics during the day, but this window just really complicates things!



My source of inspiration (besides all the wonderful winter mantels I was seeing all over bloggyland) was to think of my new region and how winter is here. Besides my few years in Atlanta, cold harsh winters was all I ever knew. So "Texas Winter" in my mind is pine cones, sand, rocks, yet still bare branches, a little warmth and a touch of green yet (but I couldn't figure out how to work that in). Right now that picture is there for the frame & matting, hope to replace it with a more relevant picture.

Decided I'd like us to A2Z's Winter Mantel linky party since coming across it is what gave me the inspiration!

OH and I feel some mama guilt for not posting pics of the boys lately... so here they are! This is as good as it gets trying to get a picture of them together! This is when we went to the zoo at the first of the new year! Gotta love that, going to the zoo in the winter in short sleeves!

7 comments:

W Design said...

I love it Tyson! And I've been meaning to buy a globe just like that for Charlie's room.

Anonymous said...

Boys are CUTE as ever. Can't wait to see you all soon. The mantle looks great too. With the blinds closed the window kind of 'fades' away. Love, Aunt J

Anonymous said...

Love your mantle...now you need to come over and do mine. All I have is a big oval mirror hanging above..oh this is Mary hahahaha

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love what you did here...looks great!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Beth@The Stories of A2Z said...

Fun to see the recap of your mantels and I think you captured a "Texas Winter" nicely! And what a challenge to decorate a window mantel. I've never seen a window over a mantel before and think it's kind of a fun idea. Thanks for linking up!

Ellie Davis said...

good job! Your "H" reminds me that I need to keep my eye out for a D for our mantel. I've seen a few but nothing I LOVED so this reminds me to keep looking :) The big initial is ALL over blogland :)

Tys said...

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback! I love seeing some new commenters too ;)

Ellie, I found that H at kohls sometime last year. I had it in our bedroom. But when I was "shopping the house" to decorate the mantel I snagged it off my shelf in there!