Saturday, February 12, 2011

French Toast Casserole Recipe!

This week we rushed around getting ready for company. Greg's parents have been here and the boys have been in grandma & grandpa heaven!

Today we went to the zoo, it was a lot of fun as always! Grilled out this evening and even ate dinner in the dining room! Tomorrow we're going to go to the park then make our birdseed valentines.

So in payment for my lack of blogging... I give you one of my favorite recipes. I made it for breakfast this morning! Big time YUM!

French Toast Casserole
6 1/2 cups of bread cubed
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tblspn butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Lightly butter 9 x 13 casserole dish

Line dish with bread cubes

Mix everything else together except butter in a bowl, then pour over bread cubes in dish

Dot the top of mixture with the butter

Let stand 5-10 min

Bake @ 350 for about 30 min

Drizzle syrup over top and serve (or eat out of pan, lol!)

Random ideas that I've done for this dish at times...
** I like to throw in a few slices of raisin cinnamon bread to cube up for an extra something**
** I also save and freeze the bread "butts" and about every month can make a casserole using them so they're not wasted!**

** I like to sprinkle some powder sugar over the top**

** I've also taken it out half way through cooking, dotted mixture with cream cheese, then put back in to finish baking - makes for some yummy bites**

Seriously, it's a big time fave and super easy! I have a friend that upgraded my recipe and turned into more of a bread pudding. (hi Shell!)

In the meantime, back to visiting! Oh and they gave me this last night:


So yah... see ya when I see ya ;) Nah, just kidding (a little bit) I love blogging too much!!

3 comments:

shelley c. said...

Love, love, LOVE this recipe. I give you props every time I make it. And Julia asks for it at least once a week. :)

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That looks delicious!! Yum - I will have to try that out!

the cape on the corner said...

they gave you the e book? as much as i love library books, the more i travel the more i wish i had an e book!