Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken Veggie Chowder

The other night I started out to make Chicken Corn Chowder. It's a very yummy dish that I thought was good for a rainy early spring day. Then about half way through I thought it needed something else... more veggies! Chances are the corn/chicken/creaminess would allow the boys to eat more of the veggies.

So I used the following recipe, just throwing in a small bag of mixed frozen veggies to make Chicken Veggie Chowder! I made notations as to what I did different (because for the life of me I can NEVER follow a recipe completely) :)

1 box of fat free chicken broth
2 cans of low-fat cream of chicken soup
3 chicken breasts- cooked and chopped (and s & p to taste)
2 logs of frozen ( thawed) cream corn *I just do one can of golden creamed corn and 1 can of white creamed corn*
Half and Half ( or real cream) ( about ½ the container)
1 chicken bullion cube
Salt & pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste

In a large stock bring broth, soups and corn to a boil. Stirring
frequently so it won't stick. Then add chicken, bullion, salt, pepper
and garlic to taste. Turn down on low and cook an hour or longer.
About 15 minutes before serving add half and half for a creamier
soup.  **Instead, I just used a crockpot on low for about 4 hrs, baking the chicken in the oven for the first 1 hr then chopped and put in to finish simmering with the rest**

Served with some buttermilk biscuits!


Results: Yum! The 4 yr old gobbled it ALL up, the 2 yr old did initially and Greg (my hardest sell) really liked it too! Yay, more veggies for the fam! I had it for lunch the last few days too :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me hungry just looking at it! Love, Aunt J

the cape on the corner said...

that looks so stinking good! would have been perfect for our rainy day yesterday.