Friday, March 4, 2011

Tried something new! Spaghetti Squash!

Spaghetti Squash. I've had it before, it's just been a long time. But thought I'd introduce it to my family, in hopes of finding a veggie they'll eat... always a chore, especially with the big one (Greg!).

My major goal since it was something new, was to present as something pretty normal to them.
In hopes they'd eat it.

Here's a spaghetti squash... it's HUGE. They come smaller, but this is what my store had. It probably cost around $5 (wow, more expensive than I thought when looking at the receipt just now). It's about 1 1/2 lbs.


I baked it in the oven at 350 for about an hour on a baking sheet.Then sliced in half and removed the seeds.


Then take a fork and pull back in forth to release the "spaghetti squash".


Season as you see fit, I used some Parmesan, and good ole salt & pepper.

I used it in place of noddle or rice, trying to visually trick them into thinking it wasn't some alien food. I made pork cube steaks dipped lightly in some egg & flour and fried up in olive oil. Topped it with some white gravy.


The result: the boys still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but Greg did - he LIKED it and ate quite a bit! It definitely has a different texture and a different taste, but it was pretty yummy!

I still have a HUGE thing of it left due to the other half of the squash. I saw a recipe for using it in a frittata perhaps that's next!

1 comment:

Liz said...

So glad you were able to get your oldest to eat some veggies! Ha! ;-) Glad you are back from your trip. Hope to see you sometime soon!!!