Monday, September 26, 2011

My take on a Yarn Wreath

Yarn wreaths are all the craze this fall! They're cozy and can be very personalized to how you like!

Here's a neat pic of some from Pinterest...


I also saw this wreath "trick" on Pinterest (click on picture for more info)...

(looking back I realize I made mine too big and I need to check out another hardware store for a cheaper foam version like used in this blog post instead of settling for the more expensive one at Lowes... but it was still cheaper than buying a $6-$8 foam or hay wreath base)

So off to Lowes I went. Didn't get quite the same deal.. but we actually need some of this stuff to cover our outside water line that has gotten hacked away by the weed whacker over 2 years. So since it was about $5 I'll say about $3 for the project... $2 for home improvement ;)



I followed the directions... cut it & duck taped!



Then I got some yarn... I rifled through the Hobby Lobby clearance bin until I found a good one (355 yards for $2.39). It's neither green or brown... somewhere in between... not much of a high demand color ;) Then started wrapping... wrap, pull taunt, and keep the yarn tight together... this went on while Jake played some wii before bed, then while Jake brushed his teeth, then the last hour of The Green Hornet that I watched with Greg (we couldn't finish it on Friday night - we're such 'parents' ie TIRED).





This morning I jazzed it up (code speak for dug out all my crap & had fun/burnt my fingers with the hot glue gun!) and hung it up over the mantel (stay tuned for the mantel tomorrow... I'll be linking up to my first linky party in 6 months!).



Some ribbon here, some twine there, a little of this & that. I was able to use some T-Shirt remnants from when I hosted my "Make Tshirt Necklaces Moms Night In" to make the rosettes. The metal leaves are from a halloween decor that have fallen off a million times... I decided to just use them for something else!



So I've decided to call mine a teardrop yarn wreath. Like most things I try, it doesn't try out exactly "right", but still okay! Tying it up and having those rosettes on the bottom/side sort of distorted the shape.

But all in all I say thumbs up!






4 comments:

shelley c. said...

Oh my gosh, I love that!

Rhiannon said...

I love Pintrest...and I also love your wreath. Beautiful!

Charlene said...

came out cute!

Mrs. D said...

I love it! Now I want to make one:)