Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Making Room in the Kitchen!

In moving I went from this (post from when I rearranged the counters)...


to this (it looked like more space until we moved in)...


pic from when house was on market

So scaling down & making the best use of space has been coming into play! Here's a few things I've done so far:

- sorted through what I have and only kept what I really needed in the kitchen
- hung up some command hooks to hold towels & pot holders




Also remember when I reogranized my pantry in the old house?


Sigh, I miss that pantry!

Pic from when house on market... I have that bad boy stuffed right now!
Oh my! In an effort to make space I went to the handy-dandy Pinterest and saw an idea for putting wire baskets on the back of the pantry door to make more space! Done! I might even add one more set to the lower part of the door.



I have yet to actually organize everything and give everything a home. But at least I've made up for having many many less drawers & space. Now I can go from here.

Maybe it's given you an idea or two? I still have zero clue where to put the knife block... anywhere I put it, it just sticks out and takes up counter space! Do you store yours elsewhere? Ideas? I do need everyday access to it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a teeny tiny kitchen with very limited cabinet & counter space. Instead of the knife block we got a magnetic strip that hangs on the wall above our sink & holds the knives. They come in different sizes & lengths and you can mount them on your back splash, wall or even the side of a cabinet. Frees up counter space from the knife block and gets knives further out of reach of little ones (depending where & how high you mount it). Just an idea :)

Unknown said...

I don't know how to link a comment to me... this is Sarah Strecker :)

Unknown said...

I have a teeny tiny kitchen with very limited cabinet & counter space. Instead of the knife block we got a magnetic strip that hangs on the wall above our sink & holds the knives. They come in different sizes & lengths and you can mount them on your back splash, wall or even the side of a cabinet. Frees up counter space from the knife block and gets knives further out of reach of little ones (depending where & how high you mount it). Just an idea :)

Tys said...

Great idea, thanks Sarah! I'll look into it... there is a cabinet I could maybe do that with!

Charlene said...

From the pic it looks like you can make those pantry shelves longer, since the brackets run the whole length of the wall...might give you more storage space that way too.

Tys said...

You're right Char... but it'd make it over 2 ft deep... that's a heck of a reach. I already knock stuff over when reaching for stuff in the back as it is. We've considered your idea as well!

Liz said...

Hi! Miss you! I have wire shelves on our pantry door too. I also have a knife block that goes in a drawer. It's awesome. Think I got it at sur la table. I store placemats on top so it's not totally wasted space only on knives. :)