Been really enjoying the Olympics! But I feel like we're having the Olympics of Obstacles around here lately.
We snatched this house up because it was the most move in ready home we came across. We're only going to be here a few years so we didn't want something that needed any renovating.
Well... it's been one thing after another around here. Obstacles Abound! Nothing that would mean this house is a money pit or anything. It's just every single thing we try to do, needs fixed, money spent on it, etc...
1. Found out yesterday one cannot use the outlet in the garage (Greg was using the blower to clean off the grass clippings) and the microwave in the kitchen (I was popping some popcorn for the kids' snack). Really? That's annoying.
2. We have a lovely wood burning fireplace, when I saw it, I thought how cozy! Then realized, wood burning fireplaces are dirty & stinky (especially a 40 yr old one) so chances are we won't use it. Didn't think about how just having a fireplace would stink up the house. We don't even use it... the whole house smells like we do :(
3. We moved our fridge from Texas... doesn't fit into the space in this kitchen. Even measures out right, but you can't open the doors. So.... we kept the one they have in here. No water filter, so I buy a Brita... the dang thing doesn't fit anywhere IN the fridge. It's the smallest big-looking fridge I've ever come across. I can't fit a gallon of milk anywhere in it... and the shelfs can't be adjusted. So we actually bought a cheapie fridge to put in the basement. Nice to have the extra space, but I can't believe at one point we owned 3 refrigerators. Sold our big one on craigslist for 10% of the original cost, yikes!
4. They have the house painted in nice neutral colors that I'm fine with sticking with for a few years. However, there's NO touch up paint and NO info on the paint colors. Well, the movers banged the heck out of all the walls and if we want to move ANY of the nails/screws that are here or IF we make a mistake when hanging something... there's no way to touch up. So now, repainting the entire house is pretty much in our future. I can't believe it.
5. The gutters are disgustingly FULL of leaves... we don't have ladders tall enough...
6. There was two HUGE Holly trees at each corner of the house. Found on home inspection that the roots are starting to damage the foundation. So we had both hollies removed, the tree guy said those were the most massive holly trunks he's ever come across. Now we have no front landscaping, it's August... we better get something done soon before fall. Eek!
7. There is a nice neighborhood pool. Took 2 weeks of trying to find out WHO to talk to about getting us a pro-rated membership for the last month (and had to pay new member one time fee, won't even tell you how much that was). Finally go there and I swear we just could of walked in and no one would of been the wiser. We pride ourselves of being by the book, but man.... HEY at least the kids are LOVING it. We've been going there for only 5 days and have already been SIX times ;) Took Ev's vest off yesterday for a bit and little dude can swim. I would not let him in the deep end without his vest... but I'm super proud of him!
8. Been craigslisting all the stuff that does NOT fit into this house. I can't even begin to describe to you these interactions. I really need to write something call the Craigslist Chronicles. Insane. Top it off we had to stay home much more due to people picking up or not showing up at all. One guy came came to get a HUGE TV in an escort! What? Then was shocked it wouldn't fit... again, What?? Then all the money I made off of all that... went right to Greg's car. The starter needed replaced.
9. The light in our shower was sooo dim. So we upped it in wattage, now the dang thing shuts off after 10 mins because it gets too hot. I can't shower in 40 wattage, I almost can't see. I need light!
10. These people were towel rack cray-zee!! There is over 4 towel racks in each bathroom. Way more than anyone could possibly need. Plus the bathrooms are so small, the boys whack their heads on the ends, I'm constantly hitting my arms, etc... BUT we can't take them down since without repainting the entire room.
11. Couldn't use both of our LG front loader washer & dryer here because the dryer is a gas hook up, and here it's only electric. So we did manage to get at least the washer in there & sell the old washer. The dryer is in the basement waiting until they can be reunited when we move in a couple years again. The dryer sounds like a freaking rocket. Also, on front loaders you're suppose to always leave the door open so that you don't get mildew, mold & funk. Well, since this is an itty bitty closet I have to always leave it open so the door can be open. Which takes up room the kitchen. I feel like my mind is going to explode.
12. We have a nice metal rack system for the garage. Can't put it up, because we can't find where the movers put the clips. They don't sell clips separately. You can't put these racks together without those clips.
13. So far in this move all but 5 boxes are unpacked... we have no garden hose, no ipod, and lots and lots of broken stuff. Sure we can fill this all out for the moving company, but just another obstacle to get through...
14. When we got the house we were impressed that the dishwasher was a stainless steel Bosch. You can definitely tell these are European. Nothing fits right in it. Our glasses are too high. The dishes too big, and we have to run a load after barely one day. There's no drying feature on it. So I'm left hand drying every.single.item. Sucks. Sorry, that may sound so "first world problems"... but having a 14 mth old grabbing at those wet dishes, and having to stand there and dry each one... is rather maddening.
15. Our driveway is falling apart. It looked nice when we moved in. Now it's a crumbling mess. I think it was a crumbling mess and they just had it seal coated... not fixed. So after only 3 weeks of using it, it's falling apart. Huge cracks, uneven, all the edges have lost at least 4 inches due to it crumbling away. So gotta add that to the list, and not just sealcoating either :(
I'll leave this at 15, I doubt anyone wants to read anymore. I just feel very defeated & overwhelmed.
Didn't even list all the stuff that HAS been fixed... Greg had to fix every single bifold closet door... each one was different from the other and needed a different set of stuff bought. We had to get an outdoor umbrella for our patio furniture. It was previously under a roof, but now out in the open the acorns were staining/ruining our stuff right before our eyes. He had to fix the dishwasher overflow/water tube. We had to get smoke detectors for each bedroom. We have the stuff purchased, but not done to seal the granite... these people never had the granite in the kitchen sealed.
I know it's not technically a MESS, but it all FEELS like a mess.