Saturday, December 1, 2012

Yet Another H Family Road Trip!

This year for Thanksgiving we headed back to the Midwest! Before I get too far into this post, I must tell you... we've "misplaced" our camera. I'm not ready to declare it lost yet, but uh..... anyway this will be a wordy post. You've been warned.

First I had to get over my guilt of pulling Jake out of school for 3 days (only one of which was a full day). I know it's just kindergarten, but I want to make sure they grow up thinking school is important. Fun stuff just can't trump school. Ok, so got over that.

Then was originally going to fly... bah... the costs, limited amount of stuff we can take, AND not having anyone to take care of the dog... we decided to road trip it!

We left early Saturday morning, it was a great drive. I've never seen the Pennsylvanian countryside... I adored all the farms. Most were all well kept, red, and working!

We overnighted in Cleveland. Got to visit with family that came from Toledo, OH to have dinner and hang out. It was so nice to see them, and the boys received a cool gift... walkie talkies. We did stop for a quick playground play and view of Lake Erie.

Found out along the way that Jake gets carsick like I do. I cannot ride in the 3rd row very long. We put Jake in the 3rd row (Evan is usually back there) of the Suburban because he can do more stuff for himself. Thought it would be better to have Evan up a bit closer. Well about 3 hrs in we're on the side of the PA turnpike getting Jake some fresh air and Greg switching carseats! Sorry buddy, I know the feeling!

Sunday took us to Chicago! We're big ole "how many states have you been to" dorks... so at one point we're right next to Michigan so we popped up there for lunch, lol! Just so all the boys could add a new one to their lists ;)

We arrived... SICK. I was battling a nasty cold that I caught from Luke before we left. Then Jake caught it from me. Nothing says HI like bringing germs with ya!

I got to see some friends I hadn't seen in 4 years. Did our usual Charming Charlies (that Greg calls "jumping jacks") shopping trip with my sis-in-law. Did date night with his siblings. I even got almost 12 hours of sleep one night. Fantastic. The boys got tons of spoiling by Grandma and Grandpa.

On Friday we headed south to my hometown in Indiana. It was nice to only have a 4 hour drive that time. We stopped at the cemetery to give some love to baby Grant. Then onto my Grandma's where we ate and visited. Had a Thanksgiving lunch the day then we had to hit the road to start our trip back. On the way out we had a wonderful visit with Luke's birth mom and her family. I think we're all really blessed at it feeling so natural and easy.

Then... Evan started to get sick. We overnighted in the middle of Ohio (took 70 home instead of the northern route we took in going to Chicago). Sunday was a very bad day. Soon as we hit the PA Turnpike, it became a parking lot. Evan was pretty sick with his cold and in being so sick it caused a few accidents. At one point we were stuck on a tollbooth ramp where 8 lanes turned into 3 that turned into one to get off the turnpike... Evan had to go. So I climbed in the back, put a nighttime pull up on him in case he didn't make it. His pride was so damaged and he was crying. Traumatic for everyone. Then another time we got stuck in traffic, got off because Jake had to go (even though everyone goes twice at each stop we make)... there was nothing at this exit... so they all ended up going behind a bulldozer at a construction site. YES. That's us! The boys thought it was hilarious, and it was the crowning moment of the day. BUT we still were NOT home. Finally made it home at 8pm. We had been on the road for 12 hours.

That is one sure fire way to feel more settled in a home you've only lived in for 4 months... leave for 8 days and battle hellish traffic to get home. Home Sweet Home, I tell ya!

That's it! That's all I have for ya! This weekend we unearth the Christmas stuff... that the movers were mad about how the packers packed it and they repacked it. Doubtful I'll find it all, but it'll be another typical adventure! ;)

2 comments:

Jeri Slater said...

So glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound. Hope everyone is 100% again!

Liz said...

Sounds like a fun trip except for the sickies. Glad you guys made it home safely!