Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Those pesky new year resolutions

This year I've noticed everywhere that people are really AGAINST resolutions, goals, etc. I'm a little confused at that. What's wrong with wanting to achieve something new, change, or discover? All over facebook and the blog world I read over and over "I don't DO resolutions".

Of course we are constantly changing things and figure out what we want to do throughout the year. But something about having the hectic holidays behind you makes it easy to turn over a new leaf for the year.

So going against the tide like I always do... I have some resolutions!

1. Continue my fitness journey.

 I was actually starting to get somewhere, but the cross country move REALLY threw a wrench in that. I'm still not feeling "at home" at our current gym like I did at our one in Houston. It's the same company, but completely different. The spin classes in Houston were hard, the ones here are boring and not nearly as challenging. I have found one class that I like and get a good workout in, so I always make that one every Wednesday!

For running, when we moved I was able to run 3 miles without stopping. If you followed me from the beginning you'll know this was HUGE. It's taken me awhile, but I'm back to 3 miles at a time. Now looking for a 5K or two to do around here this year. Then work on possibly, enjoying it? Yah, it's still NOT my favorite thing to do, but I keep on chugging away anyway.

I would like to work on more muscle definition in abdominal, arms, and back. Also get back into yoga... the yoga classes are ALL offered at times I can't make it (like when I'd be getting Jake to the bus stop or nap time for the younger two).

2. Get organized!

I function so much better when everything has a place! Unfortunately halving the size of our home in the move and having a lot less rooms & space... I'm not organized at all like I would like to be. So I'll be all cliche and organizing at the beginning of the year.

3. Quiet the "noise".

This is pretty much in relation to Facebook. It's a wonderful way to keep in touch with about 90% of the people in my life. Easy to share pictures about what we're up to, and an easy way to chat with people I'd never get to chat with on a much more regular basis. However, it's a place of endless opinions, perceptions, brag fests, rain on your parades, unfriending for no reason, etc... and when I get stressed out like I currently am... it's hard to just ignored the stuff that bothers me. Thinking of taking a little facebook vacation here in a bit, try it out for a month (more or less, we'll see!). I hate to think of missing birthdays, news, baby milestones, funny laughs shared with friends... but I think it still needs to be done. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though!

4. Create my craft/project space. I need creativity. Plain and simple.

5. Find/Discover/Awaken ME. I feel like I've spent the last two year of stuff happening TO me and not ME making things happen. When I feel stressed and not in control I get angry and mean to the ONE person I can... myself. It's not healthy, and it needs to change. Who am I anymore? What makes me tick? What makes me happy? What do I need to do to be comfortable in my own skin again? I think when I can answer those things I will naturally be able to be a better mother, wife, and person in general. This also is going to mean making decisions that is NOT  going to make everyone happy or make me popular. But if they can't see it's for the better or at least respect my decision or me, then it's probably for the best anyway. I'm married to my best friend, I have 3 happy healthy wonderful boys, and am lucky to have some good friends or supportive family members tucked away here and there. So even when the whole world appears to be rooting against you... it's nice to know there's at least 4 (if not a few more) that aren't at least, even if over hal f of that group are wanting to know when you're going to get them a snack ;)

Those are my five main ones, with some little ones here and there. Over the years more will come and some will go. But I personally like being able to look out over the year ahead like a farmer looks out over their crops, or a pioneer looking out over uncharted land envisioning what lies ahead.

2 comments:

shelley c. said...

What a great list. Whether or not people call them resolutions, I think it is smart and encouraging to have goals, and to try to focus those goals, so I say you've got a great start! :)

Jeri Slater said...

You can count on me to be a "supportive family member"! Love you.