Friday, March 22, 2013

7th Flaunt my Friend Friday! April!

 
Today I'd like to introduce my friend April to you! In knowing her over six years, I've been able to watch her go from "I really enjoy the art of photography" to "wow, I'm so busy I need to cut back on sessions". She took something she loved and turned it into a flourishing business. I'm always thinking... how can I get us to Georgia just so she can take our family pictures. She captures the essence of people and the event... that is an artist!
 
She's beautiful, a riot to talk to, lover of wine, and in her own words from her blog:
 
"I am short and have hair that hasn't yet figured out what it wants to be when it grows up(currently it's majoring in wavy with a minor in curly). I love red wine, hot hot summers, nail polish, words that end in -urple, high heels, my mother-in-law's cooking, spending the night with my mom & daddy, repurposing old things that I don't use anymore, cooking Mexican food on Monday's, making new friends, blogging, pretending I can't hear "Maaaamaaaa!" and banging on the bathroom door when I am the shower, sleeping late, Standing on the hearth with my back to the fire, waking up an hour before the alarm goes off, getting any mail that isn't a bill or an offer from a credit card company, looking through old family photo's, wearing my husbands sweaters, road trips without the kids, Christmas shopping with my mom and sister-in-law, wine and whine sessions with my other sister-in-law, hour long phone conversations with my best friend, painting rooms a new color, ball-point pens, Mass, taking time off, playing in dirt, flouncy skirts and flip flops..etc"
 
 
new blog pic


My name is April, I have been a photographer for right around 5 years. When Tyson asked me if I would like to guest blog sometime for her, I immediately said yes though I had no clue what I was going to touch on. I have been thinking about it this week and I finally came around to the conclusion of all the things I could tell you about photography, about being a busy mom of 3 while also being a photographer, and even all the boring technical mumbo jumbo of the job. What I would want you to know it would simply be a few things that I wish people would never ever say to me again. Ever.
Five Questions that Photographers are sick of hearing:
5. Where did you go to photography school?
This question implies that you simply must have formal training to be a photographer, or at least a professional one. The term professional in the photography field really means nothing as far the quality of the art produced. I have seen terrible professional photographers, and I have seen incredibly talented amateurs. What makes us professionals in our field is simply how we conduct business. And while we can feel boat loads of confidence in our training, whether it is self training, or taught in a classroom, having to defend our abilities to some random guy who’s a little bit too tipsy and trying to hit on you at a wedding that you are working gets very old very fast.
4. Can you suggest a good, inexpensive camera?
Yeah, funny thing…I actually don’t sit around studying up on the best crappy cameras that are currently on the market. If you are looking in the price range of $1200-$2300, I can help you. If not…then google is your buddy, not me.
3. Photographers make pretty good money, don’t they?
The problem with my field is that, no, we really don’t make that much money. I talk about that and people look at me like I am nuts. They have seen my prices and yes, I am sure it stings to shell out over a $100 for one hour of photography but what people don’t understand is that the work doesn’t stop there. There are hours upon hours of editing to be done after we get home. So let’s say I shoot a one hour session 10 miles from my house. I have already spent 20 minutes in driving time, over an hour with the client before I even get the images onto my computer. That night will probably put my kids to bed and work for about 4 straight hours until my eyes are starting to go crossed and I run out of wine. I will get up early and do another hour of work. Then I will burn the disk, put some images online, blog about it and tell the world how this kid was the best kid I have ever photographed. Then I’m either going to drive to my client to deliver the disk or mail it, neither of which I will charge for because I’m just nice like that. At the end, I probably have at least 7 good hours of heard work into this job…for $100. Don’t even get me started on weddings. No, we don’t make a lot of money.
 
2. Can you do me a favor?
No. I cannot. I cannot fix your photo, I can’t take “just one” picture of your family for free, I can’t show you how to use your camera, I can’t retrieve pictures that you accidentally deleted off your SD card, and if you dare to send me an iPhone picture and ask me to see if I can do anything with it…I will break your finger.
1.What kind of camera do you have? It takes great pictures!
 
This is the single most offensive, annoying, and infuriating question that you could ever ask a photographer. Formal training or not, that person has dedicated years of their life to learning the art of photography. They didn’t just wake up one morning and say “I think I’ll buy a $2,000 camera and become a photographer today!” I’m sure you have all heard the story of the photographer who asked the waiter what kind of oven they have in back because it makes such great food? Photography is not as simple as it sounds or looks and believe it or not, the photographer himself is the one making those pictures. The camera is simply medium. You don’t give the clay credit for becoming pottery, the canvas & brushes didn’t create the Mona Lisa, my camera doesn’t take my photographs for me…these things are the hand crafted work of artists.
Thanks for listening! If you ever want to win the heart of a photographer, just stay away from these bonehead questions and you’ll be good J

Thanks April! Most of us just see beautiful images that are produced seemingly effortlessly without knowing all the blood, sweat and tears that is a part of it. It's always good to be reminded of different perspectives, and thank you for taking the time to share yours. To my friends in Georgia, you should look her up! To see some of her wonderful work for yourself check out her blog:

April Ingram Photography

 

1 comment:

Jeri Slater said...

I hear you sister-I train proprietary software and people think I can fix their hardware and know every application inside and out that is on the market! :) I cringe when any of those questions come up so I totally understand where you are coming from; however I'm not a talented artist such as yourself, so it's not as bad for me.