Thursday, March 14, 2013

March 2013 Sensory Bin

It's almost mid March, it's almost St. Patrick's Day... I'm getting in just under the wire for this sensory bin!



The idea has been bouncing around in my head. I knew I wanted to use split green peas as my filler, I just kept forgetting to actually buy it.

There were only four bags left at the store... so I snagged them all for about a $1 a piece. I usually try not to spend any money on the bins. But, after we're done with them for this bin, I'm throwing them outside into the sand & water table for some spring fun!



I used a smaller bin this time (instead of the one I used for the January Winter Bin and the February Valentines Bin)... the split peas would of barely covered the bottom of the bigger one, and I wanted them to dig around more in this one.



I looked for anything with rainbows... can't find a single rainbow item in this house of boys! Except one unsharpened pencil with rainbow dots. I added some green and yellow items such as...





- 2 green nesting cups
- 2 green spoons
- a handful of gold coins
- a few yellow bricks (big chunks of gold)
- green & yellow pipe cleaners curled up curly-q like
- pair of green tongs
- a couple of holiday paper plates
- a green magnifying glass... the split green peas are interesting to look at
- and a book, "The Night Before St. Patrick's Day"



The reaction... Luke really is enjoying the scooping of the peas into the little green cups the most! Well, that AND dumping the on the floor. He's trying to put back in bin, but I'll definitely be vacuuming later ;) Evan was too busy playing Indiana Jones to come play when I was taking pics... but he's down here now while I'm typing this up and he's loving digging for the gold! P.S. These peas can make a mess!


 
 
"March is the month of expectation,
The things we do not know,
The Persons of Prognostication
Are coming now.
We try to sham becoming firmness,
But pompous joy
Betrays us, as his first betrothal
Betrays a boy."
- Emily Dickinson, XLVIII


3 comments:

Melissa said...

So cool!!! I love that you found a St. Patty's Day book!

Tys said...

Thanks! I try to have a book or two for each holiday :)

Jeri Slater said...

Looks like so much FUN!