Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sunflower Seeds Sensory Bin May 2013

In January, I had a goal to do one sensory bin monthly! Did pretty good for January, February, and March... but well, April... it just didn't happen!

So for this May Day we came up with this sensory bin... Sunflower Seeds!



As always, I try to not spend any money on it. I did buy the birdseed last month to fill my feeders. Hadn't done it yet because I need a squirrel proof feeder first! Saw it sitting there in the garage and thought, that's what I'll use. Then I'll just reuse the birdseed when we're done, not like the birds (or pesky squirrels) care!



Then I did my usual search for crap any items of educational/sensory value that went with the spring theme. Was surprised I couldn't find as much as I would of thought, but still have some goodies. Evan helped me with some of this collecting, it was fun.



Here's what was included:

- A gymboree toy that shows the stages of a butterfly
- Butterfly Puppet
-Wooden trees
- Yellow & Green cups
- 2 plastic little flower pots
- Duplo flowers
- some pipe cleaners to twist into flowers, leaves, or just poke around with
- Tools like rake, scoops, magnifying glass and kaleidoscope
- fake fruit and lettuce (I wanted it to sort of be like leaves)
- little potted toy flower

Later I grabbed a few books. We actually have more spring time books, but they're in the boys' rooms to read at night.



Here it is in action!



Definitely caught ALL of their attentions at first.

Lost Jake (6 years old) after he planted a flower



Then Luke couldn't keep his digging contained and he had to take a mandated break




Evan (4 years old) played for almost a full hour, and then another 30 minutes after dinner.

Yes he's wearing a tank top. I guess after 10 days of chilly rain, he thinks 68 degrees is tank tops weather ;)

I have to admit, it is fun to poke around and stir the seeds! I also visually like the contrast of the colorful items against the black seeds.




Oh and the flowers next to it all on the dining room table? Yesterday I was having a stressful day and was down. Evan went to the store with Greg to get milk and fruit so I didn't have to go to the grocery store yet. When Evan was there he suggested to Greg that they get me these flowers. When he presented them to me, he backed away from me bowing. Where does the kid get this? It was very cute, gave me a big ole hug and said he loved me very very much!



He asked me... "do you see the bee? I thought you'd like it, I like it".



Yes kid, I see it, and I love it.
 
Flowers are those little colorful beacons of the sun from which we get sunshine when dark, somber skies blanket our thoughts. ~Dodinsky

No comments: