Monday, June 17, 2013

The National Zoo! H Fam Sightseeing Part 12

For Father's Day (Happy Father's Day to my best friend Greg!) we decided to have a family outing to the zoo. Our local zoo happens to be the Smithsonian National Zoo!

We became members because while the zoo is free (like all Smithsonian museums), the parking is not. It's $22 to park... so it'll pay for itself fast in a years time. Plus when we signed up we got a deal of an added 3 months!

If it wasn't for having to navigate the city to get to the zoo, it'd be really easy to get to. Half the trip was spent in the city waiting on stoplights! Luke must be getting our trips down... once he got to the city, all we heard for the next 15 mins was "Get out! Get out! Get ooooouuuuut."

The parking opens at 8:30am, but all the buildings do not open until 10am. I was worried there wouldn't be much to see getting there at 8:45am... but we were good to go. In fact we'll probably try to get there right at 8:30am next time. You just can't go in the buildings, but most of the animals are out and about.

This zoo had the neatest layout as far as topography. It was layered so you could be right up close or you can be up high looking down depending on your path.

Wish I had a lot of pictures to dazzle you with, but big surprise, we don't! Just too much going on with the kids, holding someones hand, picking them up to see, pointing out the best angle to see an animal, crowds, or just looking ourselves before we remember... oh the camera!!

Didn't even get one of Greg with the boys! Of course he doesn't care, he hates being in pictures.

But here are a few...

Ok, not a great pic of me in background, but look you can see my magenta streak I had put in my hair at my recent hair appointment... I love it!


Evan following the Elephant tracks








I can't believe we didn't get one of the pandas! They were right out front just eating away. Loved the otters both on the Asian trail and the American trail. We didn't make it to all exhibits before everyone was D.O.N.E. so we still have things to check out next time! Really neat zoo. Like always, I sometimes wonder if Greg and I enjoy seeing the animals if not more than the kid!

I guess I'm still recovering from surgery, the zoo trip really wiped me out. But we did come home, hang out a bit, and then the boys and I made Greg brownies to have for dessert after our take-out sushi :) Good weekend!


"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." 
~Clarence Budington Kelland

3 comments:

Lena said...

Yikes, that's one expensive parking. But what a fun day!!

Jeri Slater said...

LOVE the magenta in your hair. :) Looks like a fun day for everyone.

Tys said...

Yes, parking is very expensive... so a 15 mth membership for our family of 5 at $75 will certainly pay for itself!